Monday, April 8, 2013

The Secret Life of Bees


Summary
2008 movie The Secret Life of Bees is based off of the novel written by Sue Monk Kidd. Taking place in 1964, Lily Owens is trapped in her home in South Carolina. Her father T. Ray is abusive towards Lily and because of this, Lily along with their housekeeper Rosaline, run away.  With them they carry a picture of Lily’s mother with the words “Tilburon, South Carolina” written on the back. An image of a black Mary is also kept with Lily and by putting the two pieces together, both Lily and Rosaline find themselves at the Boatright’s home. In exchange for a place to stay, Lily and Rosaline work both for and with the Boatright sisters, tending to the bees and helping in the sisters honey business. During Lily’s time with the Boatright sisters, Lily learns about love and how a family is supposed to work. Each Boatright sister has their own individual personality, but together they create a loving home; helping each other with life’s both physical and emotional tasks. 
Thoughts
I liked this movie a lot! Yes, it was very different from the novel but hey, what movie isn't? I found myself tearing up at a few parts of the movie so definitely have your tissues ready! I would've loved to see more interaction between Lily and T. Ray. I felt like the movie would have had much more meaning if they had incorporated more from the book in regards to their relationship. Other than that I loved the movie! 

Characters
The entire cast of the Secret 

I felt like the characters were each portrayed well. I loved Queen Latifah in this. She was so real! I felt like she could've been my mom or grandma or aunt. Dakota Fanning kinda irked me but then again I'm not a Fanning fan. Sophie Okonedo played May Boatright beautifully! She just gave life to the character Sue Monk Kidd wrote on paper. The mannerisms were real and did not seem like she was merely being reenacted by a celebrity. 

Love Story
I really wish that the movie would have captured more of the relationship between Lily and Zach. Onscreen, their chemistry was just awkward. It was not pleasing to watch. In Sue Monk Kidd's novel, the portion of Zach and Lily seemed almost like a love story which, I mean, what girl isn't a sucker for? In the movie, their relationship was just portrayed as some awkward young crush type deal.  

Symbolism
A symbol that is repetitive throughout the movie are bees. At first glance, bees seem like such mean creatures. They buzz around looking for someone to sting. FALSE! Bee's will leave you alone unless you try to harm them. This symbolizes how at first, Lily and June are both hesitant towards each other; fearing each other. Then after time, they realize that neither one of them desire harm on the other. This can then be applied in real life by remembering to not judge another person simply by their outer appearance. Instead, take time to really get to know someone before you deem them not friend material. 

Another symbol is the picture and statue of the Black Virgin Mary. Lily carries the picture of the Black Virgin Mary with her, which to Lily represents her mother, Deborah. Lily carries the picture with her as the only connection she has to her mother. The picture also leads Lily to August, who will later on become Lily's new motherly figure. In a way, this symbolizes that a mother is not just the woman that gave birth to you. A motherly figure could be any woman that you come in contact with that shows you love and compassion.   

 If you're interested in reading the original novel by Sue Monk Kidd, here is a link to her website, as well as another  link to Amazon which is one of the many places you can purchase her novel.

2 comments:

  1. I like your summary overall, I’m just a little confused with the first sentence when you wrote “is based off of the novel”. This part is confusing to me, but it might be correct, I’m really bad at grammar so I might be wrong. I like the interaction that you create with your reader through your text, especially under thoughts. I will love to see more pictures or maybe a video, even though it is not necessary for class. I think your whole review is great, but I will love to see more color in you post. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your blog. I like how you used calm colors for the background. Maybe add another picture towards the end because it gets a little wordy and everyone loves pictures. Overall though this was very well done.
    -Kat Skinner

    ReplyDelete